* Extended Deadline for Submissions: January 7*
Call For Works
The Diversity, Equity, Race, Accessibility, and Identity in LIS (DERAIL) Forum will take place at Simmons College in Boston, MA on March 4-5, 2017. The DERAIL Forum is focused on highlighting critical approaches to Library and Information Science (LIS) practice and education that impact us as students and professionals.
DERAIL welcomes proposals from Simmons SLIS students, including undergraduates and recent graduates in library, archives, computer science, children’s literature, cultural heritage, and information science & technology studies; non-SLIS students at Simmons; and students at other LIS programs. DERAIL especially encourages submissions from those who do not have previous experience presenting. We also encourage interested students to check out the proposal spreadsheet to collaborate with other presenters and brainstorm topics.
DERAIL recognizes the importance of student perspectives and is invested in providing the space and opportunity to amplify their voices while they sharpen their presentation and interpersonal skills.
Possible topics for proposals include (but are in no way limited to):
- Race, racism, and whiteness in LIS institutions
- Social justice and diversity in LIS curriculum
- Bias in subject heading and description standards
- ‘Diversity’ in hiring and promotion practices
- Case studies or specific LIS projects using social justice frameworks
- Accessibility in online environments
- Representation in archival and library collections
- Bilingual service and finding aids
- Racism in children’s literature/responsibility of publishing companies
- Critical perspectives on “diversity and inclusion” initiatives and programs
- Navigating microaggressions at school, in the workplace and/or during interviews
Suggested Session Types:
*Workshops: a session with facilitator(s) centered on a specific topic, demonstration and/or practical skills and techniques. Please indicate a specific skill or outcome for attendees. Recommended length is 45-60 minutes with Q&A, but let us know what you think your proposal requires.
*Panel Presentations: may cover a specialized topic from different perspectives or a general topic in-depth. Should provide sufficient time for audience questions. One of the panel participants may participate virtually. Recommended length is 45-60 minutes with Q&A, but let us know what you think your proposal requires.
*Individual Paper/Presentation: Proposals that are not already part of a set panel. May be assigned to a panel with similar topics. Recommended length is 20-30 minutes, but let us know what you think your presentation requires.
*Posters: Posters are welcome in both digital and physical formats and should depict and summarize research related to forum topics and themes.
*Non-traditional formats: We encourage creativity in proposals and invite submissions that may not fit into the other categories described, as long as the content addresses the scope of DERAIL. Please contact derailforum [at] gmail [dot] com with questions.